I just want to put up a disclaimer really quick before you all read the rest of this post.
This post on baptism is what I believe to be the truth. YOU don’t have to agree with me. That is ok. I will not argue this with anyone – I stand firm on what I believe. Feel free to post any comments you want… all are welcome. I know there are very many different beliefs due to the very many doctrines out there. I just happen to know this is the truth.
Now on to baptism :)
There were/are 7 baptisms in scripture and 3 baptisms for believers today.
7 Baptisms in scripture are:
- John’s baptism in water (Mt.3; Mk.1; Lk.3; 7:29-30; Jn. 1:31-33, 3:23-26; 10:40; Acts 1:5; 11:16; 19:3)
- Christ’s baptism in water (Jn. 3:22; 4:1-2)
- Baptism in suffering (1 Cor. 10:2)
- Christian baptism in water (Mt. 28:19; Mk. 16:16; Acts 2:38-41; 8:12-16, 36-38; 9:18; 10:47-48; 16:15, 33; 18:18; 19:5; 22:16; 1 Cor. 1:13-17; 1 Pet. 3:21)
- Baptism into Christ and into His body (Rom. 6:3-7; 1 Cor. 12:13; Gal. 3:27; Col. 2:12)
- Baptism in the Holy Spirit (Mt. 3:11, 14; 20:22-23; Mk. 1:8; 10:38-39; Lk. 3:16; Jn. 1:33; 7:37-39; Acts 1:5; 11:16; 19:2-3)
Now one thing I want to point out is in all of these verses, not one single baby/child was ever water baptized. Nor was this even spoke of. Jesus never even spoke of baptizing a baby or child. Ever.
3 Baptisms for believers are:
- Baptism into Christ (above) which is what happens at the time one gets saved. This is the baptism that saves the soul and brings the us into the body of Christ when we become born again (saved)
Eph. 4:5 - There is one Lord, one faith, and one baptism
1 Cor. 12:13 - Some of us are Jews, and some are Greeks. Some of us are slaves, and some are free. But we were all baptized into one body through one Spirit. And we were all made to share in the one Spirit.
Gal. 3:27 - You were all baptized into Christ, and so you were all clothed with Christ. This means that you are all children of God through faith in Christ Jesus.
- Water baptism after getting saved (scriptures are above)
Water baptism is an outward showing of an inward change. The heart has been changed. Born again. Saved.
Water baptism is not for salvation. It is because of salvation.
Mt. 3:11 - I baptize you with water to show that your hearts and lives have changed. This is the New Century version. The King James says, “I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance”
This underlined word(s) is translated different ways. This is where the big controversy comes in with verses like these.
The Greek word here is: εἰς or eis – This is past tense & means “because of”. (The present tense is poi) This is translated: “because of” or “for” 140 times, “on” 58 times, and “upon” 25 times. It also appears in “for this same purpose” (Rom. 9:17; Col. 4:8), “for this cause” (Jn. 18:37; 1 Pet. 4:6), and “for this purpose” (Acts 26:16; 1 Jn. 3:8), “for that intent” (Acts 9:21)
So if we were to use one of these different words or phrases, we will see that water baptism is not FOR salvation. Water baptism is BECAUSE OF salvation. It is an outward show of an inward change of heart.
More on this topic will be at the very bottom.
- Holy Spirit baptism - The Baptism with the Holy Spirit with evidence of speaking in tongues, according to Acts 2:4, is given to Believers who ask for it by faith. (Acts 2:4;10:44-46;19:1-7) This is the full power of the Holy Spirit. A portion of the power of the Holy Spirit is given at the time of salvation. Baptism in the Holy Spirit will anoint us and give us more power to demonstrate Christ and win people to Him, so that they can be saved. Acts 1:8 - “But when the Holy Spirit comes to you, you will receive power. You will be my witnesses—in Jerusalem, in all of Judea, in Samaria, and in every part of the world." The believer, being baptized in the Holy Spirit and anointed by Him will have more success in preaching & teaching the gospel, because the Holy Spirit is freer to work through him. After being saved, all believers should seek the Holy Spirit baptism.
The Holy Spirit is the one who baptizes us into Christ (1 Cor. 12:13); Christ is the one who baptizes us in the Holy Spirit (Mt. 3:11; Jn. 1:31-33); and the minister is the one to baptize us into water physically (Mt. 28:19)
Now back onto the topic of water baptism.
I want to show some reasons why forgiveness of sins & salvation is NOT by water baptism.
- On all occasions confession of sins was necessary & happened before water baptism. (Mt. 3:8, 11; Mk. 1:5; Lk. 3:8-14)
- BELIEVERS were baptized only AFTER repentance and faith in Christ (Mt. 28:19; Mk. 16:16; Acts 2:28, 41; 8:12-13, 37; 16:14-15, 31-33; 18:8; 19:1-7) – and in some cases AFTER receiving the Holy Spirit baptism (Acts 9:17-18; 10:44-48)
- Jesus WHO KNEW NO SIN was water baptized.
He did this for two reasons:
To fulfill righteousness – Mt.3:15 The King James version reads: “And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfill all righteousness. Then he suffered him.” The New Century version reads: “Jesus answered, "Let it be this way for now. We should do all things that are God's will." So John agreed to baptize Jesus.”
The second reason was so that Isreal would know who He was. Jn. 1:31 - Even I did not know who he was, although I came baptizing with water so that the people of Israel would know who he is."
- Water baptism is only an outward symbol of the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus. 1 Pet. 3:21 - and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a good conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
- Water baptism does not save you, faith in the cross of Christ saves you!
1 Cor. 1:13-18 -
Christ has been divided up into different groups! Did Paul die on the cross for you? No! Were you baptized in the name of Paul? No!14 I thank God I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius15 so that now no one can say you were baptized in my name.16 (I also baptized the family of Stephanas, but I do not remember that I baptized anyone else.)17 Christ did not send me to baptize people but to preach the Good News. And he sent me to preach the Good News without using words of human wisdom so that the cross of Christ would not lose its power. 18 The teaching about the cross is foolishness to those who are being lost, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
- Jesus forgave MANY sins WITHOUT water baptism.
(I don’t feel like copy & pasting all of the verses right now. But leave me a message if you would like them & I can send them to you.)
I just want to be clear on the most important thing in our lives. It is FAITH in the Cross of Christ that saves us. FAITH in His finished work on the Cross.
Eph. 2:8 - You have been saved by grace through believing. You did not save yourselves; it was a gift from God.
Rom. 10:9 - If you declare with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and if you believe in your heart that God raised Jesus from the dead, you will be saved.
Rom. 3:24-25 - and all need to be made right with God by his grace, which is a free gift. They need to be made free from sin through Jesus Christ. 25 God sent him to die in our place to take away our sins. We receive forgiveness through faith in the blood of Jesus' death.
Read Romans 4:1-25
Romans 5:1-11 -
1 Since we have been made right with God by our faith, we have peace with God. This happened through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 who through our faith has brought us into that blessing of God's grace that we now enjoy. And we are happy because of the hope we have of sharing God's glory. 3 We also have joy with our troubles, because we know that these troubles produce patience.4 And patience produces character, and character produces hope.5 And this hope will never disappoint us, because God has poured out his love to fill our hearts. He gave us his love through the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to us.
6 When we were unable to help ourselves, at the right time, Christ died for us, although we were living against God. 7 Very few people will die to save the life of someone else. Although perhaps for a good person someone might possibly die.8 But God shows his great love for us in this way: Christ died for us while we were still sinners.
9 So through Christ we will surely be saved from God's anger, because we have been made right with God by the blood of Christ's death. 10 While we were God's enemies, he made us his friends through the death of his Son. Surely, now that we are his friends, he will save us through his Son's life. 11 And not only that, but now we are also very happy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through him we are now God's friends again.
Eph. 1:7 - In Christ (baptized into Christ, saved) we are set free by the blood of his death, and so we have forgiveness of sins. How rich is God's grace.
Acts 10:43 - All the prophets say it is true that all who believe in Jesus will be forgiven of their sins through Jesus' name.
Acts 10:38-39 - Brothers, understand what we are telling you: You can have forgiveness of your sins through Jesus. The law of Moses could not free you from your sins. But through Jesus everyone who believes is free from all sins.
1 Jn. 1:9 - But if we confess our sins, he will forgive our sins, because we can trust God to do what is right. He will cleanse us from all the wrongs we have done.
1 Cor. 1:18-21 –
FAITH IN THE CROSS OF CHRIST SAVES!!!!!!!