1 Corinthians 6:19-20 (New King James Version)
19 Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? 20 For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.
Oh this is a good one!!
If we are children of God, born again, saved by the blood of Jesus… then the Holy Spirit is living in us. We are not our own because we were bought & paid for. We were bought for a price: The precious blood of Jesus was shed for our eternity with Him. We belong to God!
Considering we ‘are not our own’ – do we do whatever we want with our bodies? In reality, I could write a list of ways that we abuse our bodies… but let’s just be simple.
If they Holy Spirit is living in us from the time of our conversion, I look at it this way:
- The Holy Spirit is taking part in what we are taking part in.
- The Holy Spirit is seeing what we are seeing.
- The Holy Spirit is hearing what we are hearing.
- The Holy Spirit is in us when we are saying what we are saying.
- So… what are we doing everyday with our bodies? Over eating? Smoking? Getting Tattoos? Cussing? Dragging someone’s name through the mud? Lusting?
- What are we watching? Would we watch the same TV show if Jesus was sitting next to us on the couch?
- What are we listening to? Would we listen to the same radio station if Jesus was riding shotgun in the car with us?
- Would we be listening to gossip or taking part in dragging someone’s name through the mud if Jesus was in the conversation?
13 Do not offer the parts of your body to serve sin, as things to be used in doing evil. Instead, offer yourselves to God as people who have died and now live. Offer the parts of your body to God to be used in doing good.
19In the past you offered the parts of your body to be slaves to sin and evil; you lived only for evil. In the same way now you must give yourselves to be slaves of goodness. Then you will live only for God.
So what is so hard about this to understand? We are not to be the way we used to be, now that the Holy Spirit is living in us. We are not our own anymore. When we are going about our day… do we stop to think, “What am I doing?” or “What am I saying?”
Why don’t we stop & think:
- “Would I be taking part in this activity if Jesus was standing by my side?”
- “Would I be saying these things if Jesus was sitting here listening to me?”
- “Would I be thinking these things if Jesus was right here beside me?”
Well He IS!!! We really need to realize this through out our day. We need to glorify Him in all we say and do! There are only 2 spirits in this world… if we are not serving one, then we are serving the other.
We all need to examine our daily walk. Do we glorify Him in all we say and do? Do we even take this into consideration? Or do we go about our day with out even thinking about this?
I know God has a lot of work to do with me, that’s for sure :)
“I'm not what I should be, I'm not what I want to be, but praise God I'm not what I used to be.”