The English word ‘Hell’ is used 53 times in the bible. Different words are used for ‘hell’ throughout the bible many more times.
So hell must be a real place if it is mentioned so many times, right?
I’m not writing this to be negative, just informative. There are many details of hell… and just to be clear…
Hell is not a place where you are going to hook up w/all your friends to party & drink beer.
5 Departments of Hell:
- Tartarus (1Pet. 3:19; 2Pet 2:4; Jude 6-7) This department is for the fallen angels who sinned before Lucifer's Flood. There are no humans or demons ever go to this department.
- In Greek this word is tartaros and Latin is tartarus.
- It is: A dark abyss; a place of punishment. This place is located under the earth (2 Pet. 2:4) & is a place for the angels (2Pet. 2:4; Rev. 20:11-15; Jude 6). This was visited by Christ when He went down to hell (Ps. 16:10; 1 Pet. 3:19). It is a place of darkness, eternal fire and a place of vengeance (Jude 6-7)
- These angels committed sin beyond that of falling with Lucifer (fornication with the daughters of men – Gen. 6:1-4) and are now they are confined to hell for that sin. This shows that there are 2 classes of angels: those that are bound & those that are not bound.
- Paradise: (Lk. 16:19-31; 23:43) This was the non-burning place where the righteous people went when they physically died (before Christ died & rose again).
- The souls were held captive by the devil against their will until Christ conquered death, hell and the grave. When Christ died he went down there & captured these souls & took them up to heaven with Him. Paradise is now empty! Righteous souls go directly to heaven now at the time of their physical death.
- What is so awesome about this? Before Christ died, righteous souls were held captive in hell. After His death righteous, saved, born again people are free to go immediately to heaven with Him!!
- In Luke 16:22 the phrase “Abraham’s bosom” is used. This is a phrase used among the Jews to signify paradise. It is called paradise in Lk. 23:43 and was located in the lower parts of the earth (Mt. 12:40; Eph. 4:8-10)
- The Greek word for paradise is ‘paradeisos’.
- There is another paradise in heaven (2 Cor. 12:1-4; Rev. 2:7)
- Hell: This is the torment department of sheol-hades where unsaved souls have always gone & always will go until the end of the Millennium. (Mt. 16:18; Lk. 16:19-31)
- Sheol is Hebrew and means the unseen world of departed spirits. It is translated ‘hell’ 31 times.
- The unsaved will be brought out of this department to be reunited with their resurrected immortal bodies and cast into the lake of fire for the rest of eternity. This will be at the “great white throne judgment”. (20:11-15)
- The ‘Abyss’ or ‘Bottomless Pit’: This is the home of demons and some angelic beings. No human soul and spirit ever go to the abyss. (Lk. 8:26-31; Rom. 10:7; Rev. 9:1-3, 11, 11:7, 17:8, 20:1-10)
- The Old Test. equivalent is:
ab-ad-done' - And is translated ‘destruction’ (Job 26:5-6; 28:22; 31:12; Ps. 88:11; Pr. 15:11; 27:20)
- The Lake of Fire: This is the eternal hell and perdition of all fallen angels, demons, and unsaved people (Used 5 times in Revelation: Rev. 20:6, 11-15; 21:8; 22:15). This is the same as ‘gehenna’ in Lk. 12:5. Gehenna is Greek and found 12 times.
- Only certain people are in danger of gehenna (Mt. 5:22; 23:15, 33)
- Gehenna is a place of damnation (Mt. 23:33; 25:41, 46; Rev. 14:9-11; 19:20; 20:11-15; 21:8; Isa. 66:22-24)
- Bodies are not put into gehenna until the judgment (Rev. 20:11-15) and only God has the power to put those in gehenna (Lk. 12:5; Mt. 10:28)
- Degrees of punishment in gehenna (Rev. 20:13; Mt. 23:14-15)
- Fire in gehenna is never quenched and the worm does not die (Mk. 9:43-49; Mt. 25:41, 46; Rev. 14:9-11; 20:10-15)
- There will be weeping , wailing, and gnashing of teeth in gehenna Mt. 8:12; 13:42, 50; 24:51)
- People will be put into gehenna alive (Rev. 19:20; 20:11-15)
- All of the souls in tartarus, the abyss and sheol-hades will be put into gehenna (Rev. 20:10-15)
So here’s what going to happen…
When an unsaved person dies physically, their body is buried. But their soul & spirit (their inner person) never dies. It is very much alive and goes to hell. The person waits in hell until the “Great White Throne Judgment” day where he is brought out of hell to be judged by God, and then judged officially to hell for good. Never to come out again.
The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.
Then I saw a great white throne and Him who sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away. And there was found no place for them. And I saw the dead, small and great, standing before God, and books were opened. And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. And the dead were judged according to their works, by the things which were written in the books.
Hell is not a place where people are going to just ‘hang out’ for eternity. This will be a place of tormentS.
I believe each person will have the agonizing memory over & over & over of all the times they had the choice to accept Jesus as their savior.
All the times they read about Him.
All the times someone spoke about Him.
All the times they sat in a pew listening to the man upfront…
But denying THE MAN JESUS CHRIST.
People say, “How can God put a person in hell to suffer for eternity?”
He isn’t. It’s YOUR CHOICE.
You can chose to have a relationship with Jesus.
Or chose your eternity in Hell.
It’s up to you.
9That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
Do you believe Jesus is Lord?
All you have to do to be saved is have a little talk with God.
Tell Him you believe that His Son Jesus died on the cross for your sins and rose on the 3rd day!
Tell Him you are a sinner in need of a savior.
You are SAVED!!
You will spend your eternity with Jesus instead of separated from Him in hell!!